Canberra Academy of Languages – HomeSpecialist Education Provider for Senior Secondary Languages in the ACT
- See the News page for pictures and our 2017 report from the CAL End of Year Ceremony held on 12 December at CMAG.
Our purposeThe Canberra Academy of Languages is a not-for-profit organisation, established in 2016 to expand opportunities for language learning in the Canberra region as a specialist facility preparing senior secondary students as local and global citizens.
Our studentsOur programs commenced in 2017. We provide courses for Year 11-12 students to continue learning in their chosen languages, where these courses are not available through their schools or other providers.
Our valuesWe value excellence, equity and a civil society.
Our plansThe Canberra Academy of Languages is registered with the ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies (BSSS) as a Specialist Education Provider, with effect until 31 December 2022.
See our current flier for an overview of our purpose, programs and plans.
We look forward to working with students, families and schools in providing expanded opportunities for language learning that complement existing programs in languages offered in the ACT.
Convener, Canberra Academy of Languages
ProvisionThe academy provides language learning programs in selected languages for which courses have been endorsed by the ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies. We are also exploring opportunities to develop courses in areas not currently offered in ACT senior secondary programs, for which there is an evident need in the Canberra region.
For 2018, we are offering Continuing and Advanced programs, subject to viable enrolment numbers, in French, German and Indonesian. We will also offer an Indigenous languages course, if course accreditation is completed with enough lead time to process class placements.
EnrolmentEnrolment is via school-sponsored places (suggested when students reduce their workload by one line to undertake a language externally) or family-sponsored places (suggested when students undertake a course as an external line additional to their full-time day program).
Costs are $500 per term (which may be offset by any applicable subsidies), paid at the start of each term. This equates to about $12 per hour of program delivery.
Enrolments are now open to study French, German and Indonesian at Continuing and Advanced levels for 2018.
Enrolment enquiriesTo enquire about enrolment, please email email@example.com and let us know:
- your name
- your contact number
- your current year level (eg Year 10, Year 11)
- the language you would like to study
- if relevant, the Year 11-12 language units you have completed already (not relevant for applicants currently in Year 10)
Why learn languagesLearning languages provides cognitive, social and functional benefits. Mastering communication skills in another language delivers benefits that include:
- Improved thinking skills, with benefits in other learning areas and in broader life experiences
- A better understanding of how languages work, including English
- An understanding that other languages differ from English and an improved capacity to learn additional languages
- Direct access to literature, music, film and other expressions of culture in the arts and humanities through the target language
- Access to a new frame of reference and perspective for understanding and interpreting the world
- Ability to interact more effectively with speakers of the target language and to participate more effectively in the settings where the target language is used, in travelling, studying and working
- A greater capacity for intercultural understanding
- Greater understanding and acceptance of diversity
- Insight into the learner's own identity, values, heritage, and culture
- Broader employment opportunities, in both local and global contexts
More informationFor more about learning languages, see
Our online information
- Links to more information
- Languages.Org.Au – a resource for learners of languages, managed by the Canberra Academy of Languages
Other selected online resources
Canberra Academy of Languages
Languages.Org.AuA resource for learners of languages, managed by the Canberra Academy of Languages: www.languages.org.au
Social mediaFollow us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @CBRlanguages
Last updated© Canberra Academy of Languages
Expanding opportunities for language learning
in the Canberra region